Student and Community Watershed Education
The Solano RCD’s environmental education program impacts thousands of Solano County residents in their classrooms, in regional parks and open spaces, and at their drinking water source by focusing on local stewardship challenges. We work collaboratively with stakeholders, integrate various interests, and leverage support from many sectors to implement efficient and effective programming to the largest possible audience.
The award-winning Solano RCD environmental education programming engages Solano County residents through three primary programs:
1. Student Education
Solano RCD student education programs are multi-partner initiatives that merge local environmental education priorities with current state K-12 curriculum standards. Our programs focus on:
- Drought and water conservation
- Stormwater pollution and pollution prevention
- Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle messaging
- Citizen or community science and action
Click here for our distance learning resources.
2. Solano County Boater and Recreator Outreach
By coordinating the Lake Berryessa Watershed Partnership and boater outreach programs at Lake Berryessa and in Rio Vista and Suisun City, we:
- Effectively support Solano County's water quality management goals for Solano County
- Implement a free oil absorbent exchange program to keep oil out of our waterways and support used oil recycling
- Educate recreators and boaters on the importance of protecting our waterways for drinking, irrigation, and for wildlife
3. Volunteer Cleanup Events
The RCD coordinates three annual cleanup events drawing thousands of Solano County residents to help keep Solano and its communities “green and clean”:
- Earth Day
- World Environment Day
- Coastal Cleanup Day
Learn more about upcoming cleanup events by clicking here.
The Solano RCD also provides watershed stewardship workshops for landowners and rural residents, often in collaboration with local and regional partners.
Email us for more information about our environmental education programs and outreach.